Thursday, December 14, 2006

Milestones

Amazing how fun it is to just watch Davey each day. Somehow the days fly by, just hanging out together. Of course it's more than simply hanging out -- there's plenty of feeding, diaper changing, bouncing, figuring out what his cries mean, napping (sometimes together -- sometimes I get something done while he naps, like laundry or writing in this blog). He's so time consuming, but he's also the giver of unbelievable, all-consuming love, at the same time.

Meanwhile, I've started my foray in to getting back in shape this week -- yeah! There's a pilates studio just around the corner from our house, so Monday, Wednesday and Friday of this week I signed up for private instruction, to learn the ropes, so to speak. I'll join a class, 2 or 3 days a week, starting next week. If feels really good to be getting physically active again.

So Davey's milestones... that's where this entry started, right? Davey's been smiling for well over a month, and gets smilier every day. He hasn't started laughing yet, but I bet it comes really soon. His doctor said he's got enough fat reserves to sleep longer than 4 hours now, so to go for it (but that's as long as he'll sleep at a stretch). He holds up his head for longer periods of time now -- our strong necked boy! He finally enjoys his swing, finally is falling asleep in his bouncy seat...

I realized a couple days ago that I realized if Sybase didn't have such good maternity benefits, I'd have had to have been back at work already. My last day of disability (aka "maternity leave") was December 1, 8 weeks post-partum. However, as it is, I'm using every bit of vacation, sabbatical, company holidays, paid family leave and unpaid family leave in order to stay home until the first Monday in March. Right now I can't imagine how I'll do it. I absolutely see the benefits to mother, child and family for a stay-at-home parent. Well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment